Museum of Athens and Attika
Athens is the capital of 4-5 millions inhabitants and its history goes back to 400 years of conflicts, commerce, and peace. There are hundreds of museum in Athens representing different themes , on different time periods.
- The new Acropolis museum, gathers all the ruins found in the Acropolis of Athens, artifacts, objects of houses, statues and frescoes. It is situated only 5mn from the site, and 2mn from the metro station, and has many hotels near by.
- The national archeological museum represent all ancient Hellenic world and heritage in Greece. From Crete, Santorini, Mikines, Delphi , and Macedonia. You will need at least 2/3 hours to visit it.
- The Cycladic art museum gathers findings from the island of the Cyclades. Paros, Naxos, Santorini had important civilizations. These islands are known for their white marble.
- Byzantine museum near Syntagma square focuses on the Byzantine period. You will find great art work of icons and tapestries
- Benaki Museum, near Syntagma square, has ancient findings but also a whole floor on comtemporary Greece. Many times the museum has exhibitions and galleries.
- The Hellenic Cosmos Cultural Centre in Pireaus avenue, shows a virtual reality, ancient port of Mylitos life, and also the life of ancient Greeks in Athens Ancient Agora.
- The Museum of Greek folk art in Plaka, under the Acropolis, shows the clothes and instruments used by rural and local Greeks in old times.
- The museum of the history of Greek costumes shows in different times and regions of Greece what people were wearing almost all their life
- The archeological museum of Pireaus is a collection of findings in what was the biggest part of the world
- A modern museum with private collections of paintings, icons and other art objects can be found in the Vorres museum, 1 hour drive from Athens
- Almost every archeological site has it museum, in Athens, we can mention Vravrona site, Elefsina, Lavrio, Egina, Poros.